db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: derby to mysql?
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:47:05 GMT
On Friday 30 September 2005 02:09, Liam wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> This question may have come up before, but I've ben unable to find it on
> the list or the web.
>
> I have a large derby database which has been used for a java application
> and I now have a need to use it on the web. With the little control over
> the target server, my only option is MySQL. My question is; is it
> possible to convert a derby database converted to MySQL?
>
> Cheers.
> Liam.
This may be a silly question, but why are you limited to MySQL?

Its always possible to migrate from database A to database B, but the amount
of pain is going to be based on a couple of factors.

Use of embedded functions that may not be supported by database B.
Differences between core data types and embedded SPL functions that may not
exist in database B. That sort of thing.

The reason I ask my question is that you're saying you need to put a web
interface to your application/derby DB and that because of this constraint
you need to switch to mySQL.

Maybe I'm dense, but something is missing.....

-G

--
Michael Segel
Principal