db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Juan Ignacio Villa <ji_vi...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: Zip Distribution.
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:26:15 GMT
Thanks Stanley.

 --- Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradbury@gmail.com>
escribió:

> Hi Juan -
> I am not clear on what your needs are, there seems
> to be a couple of
> issues and I will need more information to make a
> helpful response.  Can
> you respond to the following?:
>
> a) what do you mean by: "  ...distribute an DB (and
> actualization or
> deinstallation)".  You can copy the database
> directory tree to any new
> location.  The system needs to be shutdown when the
> copy is made.

A.- Copy the directory is easy.
The main problem is the next.

> b) In regards to:"i cant delete other files"  what
> are the names of the
> files you are attempting to delete? - how are you
> attempting the delete?
> and what is the error/messages returned by the
> attempt?  Is the database
> shutdown when the delete is attempted?

B.- There is an moral problem.
I can delete all the data base, but if an user laid an
archive into the directories of derby and we erase
it... I work for the goverment and the application
will be used for millons. We want minimize problems.
We think that if the DB would be compressed in only
one file (.jar .zip .tar ...) the problem dissappear.
¿There is another form?

> c) In regards to "But the data stored in the cache
> was not readen."
> derby provides no way to monitor the cache - how
> were you determining
> what happened to the cache?  If by 'readen' you mean
> 'written' (that is:
> saved to disk) you will need to unjar the database
> first.  When placed
> in a jarfile the database is read-only so you will
> not be able to write
> to the database.  The database files will need to be
> unjarred to create
> a full read-write system.

C.- I tell you the prove we made to cache:
We insert data into DB. Then we erase cache files. The
DB don't have the inserted data.
We use the autoCommit(false) and commit() methods to
fill data, but the result is equal, we loose the
inserted data.
We use the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECKPOINT_DATABASE
command of derby, but the result is equal, we loose
the inserted data.
There is no matter of fill the cache, to write it
permanently into data base and clear cache.

Was one prove we did for another question.

You says that is imposible the DB files and
directories will be in a .jar or another only file or
I will can not edit the DB.
An DB in a .jar dont have write permission. Ouch :(

> d) In regards to: "¿there is an log of the files
> created by derby?" No,
> there is not list of filenames that are created by
> Derby.  All the files
> contained in the database directory tree are what is
> created - for more
> info see the FAQ: section "What are the basic
> components of a
> Derby/Cloudscape deployment?"
> at:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0408bradbury/

D.- Thanks.

> e) In regards to: "¿Can be grouped/compressed?"
> Derby can access a
> database stored in a jarfile - such a database is
> read-only until it is
> uncompressed.

E.- Thanks. Can not be.

Oh, sorry for my english. :)

Very Thanks

> Juan Ignacio Villa wrote:
>
> >I have to distribute an DB (and actualization or
> >deinstallation). I have the problem than i cant
> delete
> >other files that i had installed.
> >

> >I have proven to compress the directories of the
> data
> >base in zip and to thus accede to the data base.
> But
> >the data stored in the cache was not readen.

>jdbc:derby:jar:(C:/Iva2005/com/aeat/iva2005/datos/CloudScape/Red.zip)Red
> >Driver: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
> >

> >I need group the files of the DB in order to erase
> and
> >actualize versions withot danger of erase files
> that
> >an crazy user can laid in.
> >¿there is an log of the files created by derby?
> >¿Can be grouped/compressed?
> >
> >Very Thanks

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad