db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Distributed databases
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:28:56 GMT
On Thursday 22 September 2005 04:07, Øystein Grøvlen wrote:

>     JAC> Hi, I'm fairly new to Derby but I was curious if its possible
>     JAC> to use it in a distributed setup. I currently have a small
>     JAC> cluster and want to set it up so that I have a distributed
>     JAC> database on it using Derby. So my questions are:
>
>     JAC>
>
>     JAC> 1) Is this possible?
>
> It is a bit unclear to me what you mean by using it in a distributed
> setup.  Do you just want to access the database from all nodes of the
> cluster, or do you actually want for performance reasons a single
> distributed database which runs on all nodes.  The first part is
> possible and is called a network server, the latter is not.  The rest
> of my answers will assume that you want to be able to access a
> single-node database server from other nodes.

I can understand your confusion. At first it looks like he wants to create an
HADR setup using Derby. But in a later question, he used the term distributed
meaning remote....

Assuming that he wants to do HADR and not create a parallelized engine, I
think that there is some merit to this.

>     JAC> 5) Can I use ij to manipulate a distributed database? How do I do
> this?

(This is the question that I was referencing above.)

--
Michael Segel
Principal