db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suavi Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject DriverManager question
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:48:10 GMT
A different question:

DriverManager.getConnection() is synchronized. If database A does not respond, we cannot get
a connection to another database B neither. (Blocks the whole system). Is it advisable to
use Driver.connect() and side step DriverManager?

Regards,
Suavi

Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> wrote:Suavi Ali Demir wrote:

> After a shutdown=true, you should be able to connect to the same
> database again after doing a DriverManager.registerDriver(
> Class.forName(driverName).newInstance() )

No, that's not the correct way to start Derby or any other JDBC driver.
JDBC drivers are required to register themselves, applications should
not be registering drivers.
Simply loading the driver and creating an instance of it will start
Derby again.

Class.forName(driverName).newInstance();

Dan.