db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suavi Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Unit tests with Derby DB
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:01:25 GMT
After a shutdown=true, you should be able to connect to the same database again after doing
a DriverManager.registerDriver( Class.forName(driverName).newInstance() )

Then, if the shutdown=true cleans up as you expect, that should work fine for you.

Regards,
Suavi

Lars Clausen <lc@statsbiblioteket.dk> wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to do unit tests of a multi-threaded system with Derby fairly
deep underneath. I would like my DB to be in the same state at the
start of every test. I'm ok with doing a restore from files every time,
but I can't seem to get Derby to shake its in-memory contents. At every
test setup, I have

final String dbfile =
Settings.get(Settings.HARVESTDEFINITION_BASEDIR) + "/fullhddb";
System.out.println("Getting DB " + dbfile);
final String dburi = "jdbc:derby:"
+ dbfile
+ ";restoreFrom=" + new File(extractDir, dbname);
conn = DriverManager.getConnection(dburi);

which starts the DB fine the first time. At test shutdown, I have tried
a number of combinations, from closing all connections to removing the
files to using shutdown=true in a dburi. If I shut down the DB, I
cannot reconnect later, but if I don't, the changed data sticks around.
Is there a way to force Derby to re-read the files or something
similar? Other ways to do this? I tried using big transactions
earlier, but the threads need to see each others changes while having
separate connections, so that didn't work.

Thanks,
-Lars