db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: Are you happy with Derby?
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:20:17 GMT
On Friday 09 September 2005 12:49, Raji Sridar wrote:
First take what I say with a grain of Salt....
You're asking a Derby list so you're going to get a positive and biased
response. The short answer is yes.

> Hello Derby Users,
>
> I recently subscribed to this group.
> We are evaluating a open source database for a windows based network
> management product for the commercial market.
> The criteria is to have zero cost, zero admin, small footprint, with max
> reliability and good support availability.

Derby is really your only option.

With respect to other alternatives, I don't believe MySQL is "free" if you're
going to embed it in an app for resale.

Of all of the "free" RDBMSs, Derby has the smallest footprint, and since its a
derivative of Cloudscape, its already been used and proven in the type of
application that you're attempting to build. You could use PostGress, but
again, you're getting a lot of additional features that you really don't need
or want.

The only caveat is your "good support" criteria.
"Good Support" is relative. You get what you pay for...

> We are looking the ability to prototype and develop fast - hence
> planning to use Hibernate in conjunction with Derby.
> We are not looking for database features like client-server, redundancy,
> replication, high availability, 2-phase commit.....
> For these criteria, do you agree that Derby is the best choice?
> Please give your opinions and suggestions - I appreciate and value your
> opinions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Raji

As I said, you're going to get a biased response.

I like others are looking at Derby from a similar perspective.

The only drawback is that Derby is under GPL. So as long as you follow GPL's
rules, you're ok.
--
Michael Segel
Principal