Where do you use the pkchanged that you are setting to 'Y'? In some cases, you can use CASE statement inside INSERT etc too if you want. I am assuming you are trying to execute the triggered insert ONLY IF the Primary Key value of the new row is different than the old row and the PK column is ROLLNO.

In general, it could be like this (@see bold):

Create trigger APP.TRU_A_STUDENT
after update on APP.STUDENT
Referencing old as oldRow new as newRow For each Row MODE DB2SQL
Insert Into APP.SHADOW_STUDENT(common_id, operationType, status,
ROLLNO , NAME , PAY , CLS , old_ROLLNO , server_name ) SELECT * FROM (Values ((Select
max(cid) from  TempTable) , 'U' , 'A' , newRow.ROLLNO , newRow.NAME ,
newRow.PAY , newRow.CLS , oldRow.ROLLNO , 'sube_3001')) as t WHERE (newRow.ROLLNO<>oldRow.ROLLNO)

I don't have your db schema, so I did not test, but you get the idea: When you append the where clause, the select returns nothing, and you insert nothing if PK has not changed.

VALUES syntax when used inside a FROM clause is as follows:

select * from (VALUES(1)) as temp

Excuse my html formatting if it causes trouble.

Regards,
Suavi

Lot of thanks for your reply. I have the following trigger.

Create trigger APP.TRU_A_STUDENT
after update on APP.STUDENT
Referencing old as oldRow new as newRow For each Row MODE DB2SQL
Insert Into APP.SHADOW_STUDENT(common_id, operationType, status,
ROLLNO , NAME , PAY , CLS , old_ROLLNO , server_name ) Values ((Select
max(cid) from  TempTable) , 'U' , 'A' , newRow.ROLLNO , newRow.NAME ,
newRow.PAY , newRow.CLS , oldRow.ROLLNO , 'sube_3001')

I would like to add the following statement in trigger before
execution of insert statement :

delclare pkchanged char(1);
begin
if(newRow.ROLLNO!=oldRow.ROLLNO!=) then