db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM (Øystein Grøvlen)
Subject Re: Derby ClientDriver versus EmbeddedDriver 10.1.1.0 and a question about the Eclipse plugin
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:00:15 GMT

    PB> Hi,
    PB> I noticed some different behaviour between Derby EmbeddedDriver and ClientDriver.
This was a disappointment, because I wanted to develop a Derby application that may switch
between the two drivers.

    PB> Differences I noticed are:

    PB> 1) EmbeddedDriver accepts and uses a Properties object as the second parameter
on the connect method. ClientDriver accepts, but does NOT USE the Properties object. A bug?

I guess the problem here is that many of the properties has to be set
when the Derby is started.  In the embedded framework this is done on
the first connect.  In the client/server framework, I guess Derby is
started before the first connect.  Hence, it will be too late to set
the properties.  In my opinion, the ClientDriver should throw an
exception if it is not able to set a property.

--
Øystein