db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kostas Karadamoglou <karadamoglo...@yahoo.gr>
Subject Derby 10.1.1 - Question about transactions
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:20:51 GMT
Hello all,

I am developing an application wich uses Derby 10.1.1

The application has multiple clients/ read connections that read tables
and one  write conenction that write into the tables.

The connection that modifies the table mostly inserts rows.

There is a potential problem of a user/read connection reading data
while the write connection inserts rows. This can cause read connection
to execute outdated sql statements.

How can I stop read connections to read data before the write connection
commit the insertions.

I know that there is a LOCK TABLE statement with Derby but I want to
avoid it (I don't want to add string manipulation of statements).

Can I use the setIsolationLevel of JDBC Connection?

Which level is most appropriate?

The method is defined at the Connection class. Does affect all the
connections or only the one that called the method?