db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby with OS X Tiger (10.4) Java 1.5.0_02? Log problem?
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:44:35 GMT

On Aug 4, 2005, at 8:56 PM, Barnet Wagman wrote:

>> When you shut down and start a new session, you need to set that
>> system property in the new session as well.
> Yes, I'm doing that.  My code contains two getConnection() calls,
> one when it starts and the other as an explicit shutdown.  The
> startup sequence is
> System.setProperty("derby.storage.fileSyncTransactionLog","true");
> new org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver();
> con = DriverManager.getConnection(...);
> I don't reset the system property again prior to the shutdown, e.g.
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");
> but I can't see how that would matter.

I rigged up the SimpleApp demo program to do some inserts, shutdown
the database and then reconnect using DriverManager.getConnection()
calls and do some more inserts/updates. This works for me on 10.4/
Java 1.5.0_02. I'm sure this is far simpler than what you are trying
to do, but maybe it will help you to pinpoint where things are going
wrong. I've attached the modified SimpleApp below.

> Is there any other way to force Derby to use rw mode?  I've read
> about a patch, but it wasn't clear how to implement it.

With a little work, it should be possible to apply Suresh Thalamati's
patch for this issue:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200410.mbox/%
3c416E4CF6.9040609@Source-Zone.org%3e

to the latest code, but if I remember correctly, there were some
concerns about how it might affect recovery, and it has not been
extensively tested.

hope that helps,
andrew