db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Still no bin directory in Derby?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:25:51 GMT
On 8/8/05, Jonathan Eric Miller <jemiller@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I thought by the first official release of Derby there would be a bin
> directory with scripts for running the tools such as ij. For example, I
> thought there would be ij.cmd and a ij.sh. i.e. similar to what Tomcat does.
> This would be nice IMHO.

Hi Jonathan,

Scripts for setting the classpath and running the utilities are in the
frameworks directory of the -bin distribution. There are two separate
sets of scripts to use, depending on whether you want to use embedded
or network server mode. There's no top-level bin directory because the
scripts for each mode have similar names, and with separate
directories its more clear which scripts you are using. Plus,
presumably, if other methods of access are added, e.g. ODBC, or if
someone wanted to contribute scripts that would make getting Derby up
and running on different application servers running, e.g. Tomcat,
then these could be added to new directories under frameworks.

I'd like to encourage anyone with such scripts to post them to the
list for others to use, as well. :-)

cheers,
andrew