db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Occaisonal rollback on reboot
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:14:47 GMT

> I've done this, and I'll see if that leads to more useful info.  With
> only derby.infolog.append=true, I did find the following error (which
> may be the crux of our problem).  I can't say for certain whether this
> conincided with a database rollback, but I suspect it may have.
>
> 2005-08-30 16:40:49.671 GMT:
>  Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby -
> 10.0.2.1 - (106978): instance c013800d-0106-0843-1b00-000075ccda01
> on database directory /Users/scotty/k2db-data/k2db/pkb
>
> ------------  BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE -------------
>
> System may be in a inconsistent state, missing file /Users/scotty/k2db-
> data/k2db/pkb/log/log1.dat
> ------------  END ERROR MESSAGE -------------
>
> Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=''
> 2005-08-30 16:40:53.181 GMT Thread
> [javawsApplicationMain,5,javawsApplicationThreadGroup] (XID = 5),
> (SESSIONID = 0), (DATABASE = pkb), (DRDAID = null), Committing
> 2005-08-30 16:40:53.182 GMT Thread
> [javawsApplicationMain,5,javawsApplicationThreadGroup] (XID = 5),
> (SESSIONID = 0), (DATABASE = pkb), (DATABASE = pkb), (DRDAID = null),
> Rolling back
> 2005-08-30 16:40:58.040 GMT Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] (XID = 6),
> (SESSIONID = 1), (DATABASE = pkb), (DRDAID = null), Committing
>

> What does log1.dat store?  Would the nonexistence of this file on boot
> cause the sort of behavior I'm seeing?

Yes.  log1.dat will contain the transaction log , that is used to redo
the transactions in case of a crash. So files in the log directory are
  essential to bring database to a consistent state during the reboot
after the crash and also for transaction rollbacks ..etc.

I wonder how log1.dat is missing , have not seen any bugs regarding
this. Some how the log  files are vanishing:

1) By chance , are the files in the database base log  directory
(<database-name>/log)  are compressed by some automatic/manual process?

2) is there some automatic mechanism  that is deleting the files in
the Users directory ?

3) Is some one manually deleting these files, thinking they are just
error log files ?

Try running the application on different disk/location and check if
you are missing committed transactions, there also.

Thanks
-suresht