db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: BLOB : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:49:42 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Thanks for the offer.. It would really be great to have more
developpers working on Derby. Join the derby-dev alias to participate
in the development.<br>
Derby embedded driver already has the capability to stream blob/clob,
without requiring reading them completely into memory. It would be
great to enhance Derby network server and Derby client to support this
kind of behavior.<br>
Satheesh<br>
Gr&eacute;goire Dubois wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Thank you for your answer.

Can I propose my services for this developpement? Being able to write
big BLOBs in the Derby through the JDBC driver is a very very important
behavior for me.

As Derby supports BLOBs with a capacity of max 2Gb, and knowing that
almost nobody has got a computer with more than 2Gb RAM, is there an
other way to write big BLOBs in the Derby ?

Thank you very much.
Gr&eacute;goire.

Le mercredi 31 ao&ucirc;t 2005 &agrave; 07:23 -0700, Kathey Marsden a &eacute;crit
:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Gr&eacute;goire Dubois wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Hi all,

I'm using the org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver driver to access the
Derby database through network.

Writting small files (smaller than 5Mo) into the database works fine,
but I can't write big files (40Mo for example), without getting the
exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

I think the driver is writting all the file into memory before sending
it to the database. Is that a known issue? Is there a plan to improve
this?

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">This is DERBY-326.  There  is not currently a developer assigned to
this
issue.  Right now you would just have to increase the maximum heap size
of the jvm with    -Xmx&lt;size&gt;

Right now this is logged as an improvement but perhaps it would make
sense for you to log a Bug for your specific case and OutOfMemory error
and link it to this isssue.  Then vote in Jira to have it fixed.

Kathey

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->

  </pre>