db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Philip Wilder <0505...@acadiau.ca>
Subject Derby XA Standards
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:18:35 GMT
Sorry to bother everyone again with another standard question but I'm
just trying to wrap my head around the Derby's interaction with the XA+
specification. From my research it appears that communication between
Resource Managers (such as Derby) and Transaction Managers is done
through the XA Specification. Interaction between the Application
Program and the Transaction Managers is handled through the Transaction
Demarcation (TX) specification and finally Interaction between the
Transaction Manager and the Communications Resource Manager is done
through the XA+ specification.

My suspicion is that Derby is only concerned with the Interaction
between the Resource Manager and the Transaction Manager and the only
reason Derby uses the XA+ specification is because it is a superset of
the XA specification. Thus the portion of the XA+ specification dealing
with communication between the Transaction Manager and the
Communications Resource Manager is ignored. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Philip