db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Occaisonal rollback on reboot
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:31:53 GMT
Scotty Allen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've been having some problems with occasional rollbacks of an embedded
> database when the application is shutdown and restarted.  The pattern
> seems to be that you shut down our application, and then restart it, and
> the database is in the same state it was the time before last that you
> started it up.  In other words, the whole last session seems to have
> been lost.
>
> The main machine I've been seeing it on is a Mac OS X machine running
> tiger 10.4, with java 1.4.2.  We're running Derby 10.0.2.1, with
> derby.storage.fileSyncTransactionLog set to true.  However, we think we
> may have seen this problem on a Win XP machine as well.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any thoughts about how to
> troubleshoot?  I just found derby.infolog.append tonight, so I'll start
> using that and see if I can see anything funky in the logs when it
> happens (I haven't seen anything yet, but haven't always checked the log
> prior to starting up, to know if the shutdown the last time was clean).

That seems strange.  I dont use Mac, but have not noticed any problems
on windows/linux.. By default, on a restart( reboot), the database is
guranteed to be in a consistent state, that is you will see  only the
transactions that have been committed  and not result of any uncommitted
transactions.  Maybe you have already checked this, but are you sure you
are committing all the transactions in your last sesssion ?  that you
dont see on a reboot.    Do you see any exceptions when running the
program that may cause a commit to not be issued ?

You could set derby.language.logStatementText=true and
derby.infolog.append=true and check the derby.log to look for commit
debug statements in there and what statements are executed.

Also, are you using any other derby properties for the database  apart
from the derby.storage.fileSyncTransaction:Log=true  ?

Thanks,
Sunitha.