db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Ability to create a unique index on the same column, doc bug or "bug" bug?
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:50:35 GMT
Michael J. Segel wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 August 2005 18:33, Susan Cline wrote:
>>I just logged DERBY-539 as a documentation enhancement request.   I think
>>if the documentation explains more clearly the behavior of the product it
>>will help our users when they observe something they might not intuitively
>>understand when first using the product.

Thanks for taking the time to log the improvement, Susan!

Let's say I'm a developer deploying an embedded database on a machine
with tight resources. I have a table with a million rows in it and I
created an index on a column in that table. I would be grateful to know
up front that if I create a primary or foreign key on that column, I can
go ahead and drop that index and save some space.

>>"Michael J. Segel" <msegel@segel.com> wrote:
>>On Tuesday 23 August 2005 13:20, Susan Cline wrote:
> Sigh.
> How is this behavior any different from any other database?
> I think my frustration is that Derby/Cloudscape is acting as expected.

So we can clarify the documentation and save some users some confusion.

> Did you try your sample tests against DB2? Informix? Sybase? Oracle?(ick!)

What does that matter? Apache Derby isn't any of those databases. And
that is really, really, really sweet.

It never hurts to improve the docs, especially when somebody provides
the suggested new content as Susan did with DERBY-539.

View raw message