db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thread on Derby on The Server Side
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:17:26 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> Thanks, Sunitha, for looking into this!  It would be *great* if you
> posted this to the server side in response to the "Derby is slow"
> judgement out there.   If for whatever reason you are uncomfortable
> doing this, let me know, and I'll be happy to do it with your OK.

Hi David,
I just  posted a comment on the serverside thread.
http://www.theserverside.com/tss?service=direct/0/PostNewsReply/postReply&sp=l35729&sp=F&sp=l180586.

Please feel free to add to it, if needed.  Thanks.

> These seem to be the two most common mistakes: assuming a database is
> transactional when it's not really (doesn't sync to disk) and not
> preparing statements. We ran into this at Sun as well with a group
> doing performance tests of Derby.
> We should have a "cheat sheet" for things people should look at when
> doing internal benchmarking of Derby and make sure it's front and
> center on our web site...

I agree, its a good idea.   I will try to get out a list and we could
discuss this on the derby-dev list. .

Sunitha.

[ snip]