db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Thread on Derby on The Server Side
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:25:19 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> Note there are suggestions Derby is slow.  If anyone wants to chime in
> on some of this, that would be great.  We don't want the "word" to get
> out that Derby is slow if it's based on poorly designed benchmarks or
> misconceptions...
>
> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=35729

Derby does have an inexplicable 8-12 second wait when creating or
opening a database where HSQLDB has no noticeable wait, which doesn't
hurt on a server but on a desktop client it's a bit of a problem.  It
really makes our unit tests grind too, since we use a fresh database for
each test case.

But that being said, at runtime (which is normally what matters) we
haven't encountered any noticeable slowdown using Derby over HSQLDB.

Maybe someone has some quantitative figures though, instead of these
qualitative experiences.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll