db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: platform support proposal
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:51:22 GMT
Michael J. Segel wrote:

> Also to your point, there are other JVMs that exist. Which ones should Derby
> support? You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere ... ;-) My suggestion
> would be to use Sun's version as a benchmark on which version levels to
> support.

Well Derby is coded against the Java api's, not any implementation of
them. I would expect Derby to work on any JVM which correctly implements
those apis, which traditionally has meant any Java Certified VM.

The line in the sand is really drawn by what any individual user,
contributor and/or committer does. If someone tests Derby on some VM and
provides the results to the Derby community then they have shown that
Derby works on that VM. If they found problems then they or anyone else
can provide patches to get Derby running on that VM. (See DERBY-488 :-)

The community can show that Derby runs on many JVMs, by reporting test
results.

See http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_tests.html for a great start by
Sun. We are hoping these scripts can be open sourced by Sun to allow
others the ability to share any nightly testing, IBM runs the derby
tests against a number of platforms across the week.

I think any official release should have a table of the platforms that
it has been tested against, again provided by the community.

On the other hand "support" in the traditional sense is another kettle
of fish. Paid-for support for Cloudscape has always been that Cloudscape
was supported on any Java Certified VM (at the correct JDK 1.x levels).
Anyone else that offers support on Derby can pick their own rules for
platform support.

Dan.