db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: platform support proposal
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:54:56 GMT
Michael J. Segel wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 23:39, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>>Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>>Is this acceptable? If not, how would you like to see Derby handle the
>>>sunsetting of jdk1.3 support?

[Sun,IBM,Blackdown dates & comments omitted]

> Sigh, not to start a flame war....

Not a flame war, but the end-of-service dates of VMs are a piece of the
information for deciding on continuing 1.3 support. I work for IBM but
was not suggesting that Derby follow IBM service dates for 1.3 support,
only pointing out there there are other VMs aside from Sun's, with
different end-of-service dates.

Other, more important factors for 1.3 support (or indeed any version) are:

  - is there demand for Derby support on 1.3?

  - are there people willing contribute effort to keep Derby running on
1.3 (e.g. testing etc.)?

Hopefully if there are people who still want Derby to run on 1.3, a
subset of them are willing to help out on that effort.

I do think a reasonable approach is for the next release to be the last
Derby release to support 1.3.

Dan.