db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: BLOB : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:02:07 GMT
On Wednesday 31 August 2005 10:49, Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>  Thanks for the offer.. It would really be great to have more developpers
> working on Derby. Join the derby-dev alias to participate in the
> development.
>
>  Derby embedded driver already has the capability to stream blob/clob,
> without requiring reading them completely into memory. It would be great to
> enhance Derby network server and Derby client to support this kind of
> behavior.
>
>  Satheesh

[SNIP]

This may be a dumb question...

Maybe its hindsight, but why isn't the Server Framework either a subclass or
an extension to the embedded driver? Someone had posted that the Network
Driver utilized the embedded driver... (Or is that bathtub gin affecting my
memory?)

I guess it goes more to the point of why not have more focus on a "universal"
driver?

--
Michael Segel
Principal