db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby ClientDriver versus EmbeddedDriver 10.1.1.0 and a question about the Eclipse plugin
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:11:32 GMT
> Hi,
>
> I noticed some different behaviour between Derby EmbeddedDriver and
> ClientDriver. This was a disappointment, because I wanted to develop
> a Derby application that may switch between the two drivers.

There are some differences between the drivers, and some of them are
logged already logged in Jira
(e.g. http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-371,
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-517 and
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-501). If you find
differences which are not already in Jira, it would be nice if you
reported them.

> Differences I noticed are:
>
> 1) EmbeddedDriver accepts and uses a Properties object as the second parameter on the
connect method. ClientDriver accepts, but does NOT USE the Properties object. A bug?

> 2) When an attempt is made to connect to a non-existing database (no attribute create=true)
EmbeddedDerby throws an SQLException with SQLState "XJ004", ClientDriver "08004" (connection
refused with additional text database does not exist). A bug?

> 3) ResultSet behaviour: When I execute, in this order, ResultSet.getMetaData(), then
execute ResultSet. next() until it returns false, and then again execute ResultSet.getMetaData(),
EmbeddedDriver does as requested, however, ClientDriver throws an SQLException at the last
getMetaData() saying that the ResultSet has been closed. A bug or should this be expected?

>  (The reason for this strange sequence is the following: I wanted to create a JTable
as follows: new JTable(createColumnData(resultset), createHeaderData(resultset)). Apparently
this was processed by java from left to right. For EmbeddedDriver no problem.)

> I prepared a small (175 lines) piece of java code that demonstrates all three differences.
If you wish I can send it.

> (I use the official release of derby: 10.1.1.0, JRE 1.5.0_04, and use Eclipse 3.1 to
compile my classes. I have all the derby jar files in the EXT directory of the JRE)

> A question about the Eclipse plugins: I read the warning that these plugins can only
be used in Eclipse 3.1 up to Milestone 6. Is there any chance that in the near future an official
release of these plugins will be available for the official Eclipse 3.1 release? Yes, I also
read the prescriptions on how to alter the plugins so they can be used with the official release
but, having no experience at all with SubVersion, Ant, Plugin development and whatever needed
to perform this alteration other than things working out opposite as expected, I decided to
live without the plugin and wait.

> Piet Blok

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway