db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: platform support proposal
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:19:14 GMT
On Wednesday 03 August 2005 13:54, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Michael J. Segel wrote:
>
> [Sun,IBM,Blackdown dates & comments omitted]
>
> > Sigh, not to start a flame war....
>
> Not a flame war, but the end-of-service dates of VMs are a piece of the
> information for deciding on continuing 1.3 support. I work for IBM but
> was not suggesting that Derby follow IBM service dates for 1.3 support,
> only pointing out there there are other VMs aside from Sun's, with
> different end-of-service dates.

True.
To your point there are others. This is why I was suggesting a policy of n and
n-1 version support, where n is the current GA release.

Lets say that version 1.5 of the JVM hits the streets prior to the next Derby
release. I would suggest supporting 1.5 and 1.4.

If the next release of Derby hits prior to 1.5, then using n-1 as our guide,
version 1.3 should be supported.

Also to your point, there are other JVMs that exist. Which ones should Derby
support? You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere ... ;-) My suggestion
would be to use Sun's version as a benchmark on which version levels to
support.

--
Michael Segel
Principal