db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: platform support proposal
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:51:08 GMT
On Tuesday 02 August 2005 23:39, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
> > Hi Derby users,
> >
> > Sun will stop supporting jdk1.3 at the end of March, 2006 (see
> > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/index.jsp) and is encouraging customers to
> > migrate their applications to supported platforms. Would anyone object
> > if the next release of Derby (release 10.2) is the last release which
> > runs on jdk1.3? Note that Derby 10.2 will still run on jdk1.4.x and
> > jdk1.5.x and, I hope, on some flavor of the upcoming 1.6 jdk. Note also
> > that long after jdk1.3 officially sunsets, users will still be able to
> > download Derby 10.2 for use on that unsupported platform.
> >
> > Is this acceptable? If not, how would you like to see Derby handle the
> > sunsetting of jdk1.3 support?
>
> FYI - some of the end of service dates for IBM's 1.3 vms go out to Sep
> 2007.

Sigh, not to start a flame war....

IBM is notoriously slow when it comes to staying up to date with changes.
(Hint: Type 4 JDBC drivers for DB2, anyone. ;-)

No disrespect to IBM, but I would suggest that we keep track/pace with Sun's
sunset plans.  I would hope that with the recent re-org in ISSD that IBM will
make some changes to their End of Service Dates so that IBM keeps in synch.
[Note to Dan: We should take this discussion offline. (gumby@segel.com)]

While it is important to maintain some backwards compatibility, it doesn't
make sense to keep support for sunset'd versions of a jdk in the current
release.

I don't want to say that this is an IBM centric issue, but that anyone using
an older jdk release should expect indefinite support. For every new feature,
you have to now test it against JDK 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 ...  I would hope that n-1
support, where n = current latest GA'd release, should suffice.

As it has been pointed out, they can always use a prior version of Derby if
they need to use an older jdk...

-Mikey

--
Michael Segel