db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernd Ruehlicke" <BRuehli...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Description of a table
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:50:07 GMT
He, he this one pops up again and again. I also would like this. - Try to check if there is
a JIRA or this.

Below a -mail thread from earlier discussions.
Personally I am using the Derby Plugin to Eclipse for wandering around my tables.

Bernd

Hi,

Meanwhile, here is a SQL that can get the table description;

For example: A table 'ATAB" with schema name 'SAM'

ij> create table sam.atab(id int, col1 char(2));

ij> select columnname, columndatatype from sys.syscolumns where
referenceid in (select tableid from sys.systables a, sys.sysschemas b where a.schemaid=b.schemaid
and b.schemaname='SAM' and a.tablename='ATAB'); COLUMNNAME
   |COLUMNDATATYPE
COL1
   |CHAR(2)
ID
   |INTEGER

I guess the above can be used in a SQL function, which can then be executed the normal way
('ij' or java application).

-Rajesh