db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Piet Blok" <pbh...@wanadoo.nl>
Subject Re: Quick question... on use with "Ram Drives" or FOBs...
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:22:39 GMT
Hi Michael,

Yes, I tried to setup a (small) derby database on a memory stick (256 MB),
and as expected this works fine.

I also installed the .jar file of an application (with embedded derby
driver) on the stick.

I even installed a (windows) JRE on the memory stick and created a .bat file
to start java explicitly from its JRE path.

Thus I was able to to run my application, including database, on any windows
machine I encountered, with or without java installed, provided it had a
working USB port.

Reasoning for this exercise was a prototype of an intelligent device that
can be easily carried around and plugged in anywhere.

Startup performance is bad, but for the rest it works OK. (I am told by
someone more familiar with memory sticks that performance is higly
influenced by the machine's installed USB support, but I cannot comment on
that).

(I assume FOBs refers to memory sticks?)

Piet Blok