db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cannot flush the log file to disk error
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:38:32 GMT

Hi Matt ,

I came across this error only when the disk is full or when there are
file system errors.  Surprised to find that you don't   see  log flush
SQL Exception in the derby.log.  May be the error log is getting
reinitialized when  you reboot after a shutdown inside your program.
You can avoid reinitialization of error log by adding
derby.infolog.append=true  to the derby.properties.

On the side note , if u are using Derby version before 10.1 ,  nested
exception  were not getting logged into the derby.log file  in some
cases. I think log can not  flush  log exception is  also one of them.
This issue is  fixed in 10.1 ( JIRA ENTRY : DERBY-237) .

If you can not change the derby version , In  your program ,  you may
want to print the nested SQL Exceptions,  real  IO error might show up
if you do that.

calling SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECKPOINT_DATABASE()  can only clean up log
files ,  if the log files are not needed for recovery.
On rare cases  I came across programs that starts a transaction  in the
beginning and never commits them,  when  that happens log files can not
be reclaimed; because log files will be needed to rollback that
particular transaction.   This can  lead to disk full scenario.
Your log file number is small(log10) , so  I doubt  that is the case!.

You may also want to check the permissions for the files.

Thanks
-suresht