db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Full Text Indexing
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:41:18 GMT
Hi Mag,

Thanks for bringing up this issue. It certainly deserves an enhancement
request. I'll log one later on today.

Technically, you can build your own poor-man's solution to this problem
today:

1) You can build your own inverted index (as a full-fledged table) on
the text column you need to search.

2) You can maintain rows in that pseudo-index by hiding all
insert/update/delete access (to the base table) inside some set of
application-layer methods.

3) Similarly, you can manage searches by an application-layer query
generator which knows how to build joins between the base table and the
inverted index.

A couple years ago I tried something like this with the free-license
version of Cloudscape which IBM exposed. The performance disappointed
me. I didn't look deeply into the performance issue. Instead, I tried
another solution, which outperformed the inverted index: Full table
scans on the base (text bearing) table supported by a search function
evaluated, per query, on each text column. To date this hack has
performed adequately on a dataset of 12K rows. However, it would be
pretty slow on datasets an order of magnitude larger.

So...we need to log an enhancment request for text search support.

Regards,
-Rick