db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Derby features
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:54:55 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, all.  I am getting a bit of an RFP from an internal user and was
> wondering if you could help answer Y/N/Partial on the following features
> for Derby.  I have put in only those items I couldn't find with a fairly
> close search through the ref manual.
>
> - Character set configurable per connection
> - Character set configurable per user

Not sure what this means in terms of Derby. Derby uses Java so there is
the single character set, Unicode.

> - Store data from different locales in same table and be able to sort
> over them

Derby supports Unicode as the only character set for all character data,
so you can have a column with chinese text, english text and greek text,
no restrictions.

> - Array data type support (doesn't look like it)
No.

> - "Initially deferred" foreign key constraints (I don't even know what
> this means)
I don't think so, but could be coded up.

> - Coalesce/ifNull operator (I found NULLIF but I'm not sure that's the
> same thing)

COALESCE exists.

> - Function-valued sorting

Added in 10.1, ORDER BY expressions.

> - limit, offset clauses in select for paging
Is there a standard for this? Is a RowSet a better api?

> - constraint violation error messages should contain constraint names
I thought they did, maybe in some cases they don't.

Dan.