db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: derby and ewe
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:12:23 GMT
Boris Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> has anybody tried to get around with derby using ewe jvm? -->
> http://www.ewesoft.com/
> My Problem is that i'm unable to start the derby-db because of this
> exception:

heir site is a little vague about what exactly the EWE VM is. E.g. this
sentence would worry me :-)

<quote>
No, the Ewe VM is not a Java VM since it does not implement a very small
number of Java features, nor does it use any of the "standard" Java
libraries and API
</quote>

Once you get into the details (though these are hard to find, several
links give errors), you do indeed find that this is not a Java VM, it's
a non-standard VM that shares some minor elements with a Java VM.
(http://www.ewesoft.com/UnderTheHood.htm)

Thus I would say near zero chance of Derby running on it, since Derby is
targeted at the standard J2ME/CDC/Foundation and J2SE apis.

Dan.