db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Simon <simonzm...@gmail.com>
Subject Derby hanging on port conflict
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:20:45 GMT
Hi all,

I notice if I accidently start 2 instances of Derby Network Server on the
same port, not only does the 2nd instance get the binding to the port
rejected but the 1st instance hangs as well. This seems to happen on both
linux and windows.

Anyone know if there is a reason this is happening/way to prevent it?
Derby-devs - is this worth logging as a bug?

(context is that we want to run lots of Derby servers on the same box. right
now, even when separated as different users accidently starting a derby
server on a conflicting port kills the other instance - this is bad - it
means a non-privileged user can take down a derby instance owned by someone
else... ).

Thanks for any help or info!

Cheers,

Simon.