db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sten Nordström <sten-ext-dbh...@navielektro.fi>
Subject Re: Behaviour of SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:38:57 GMT
Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@...> writes:

> Note that cloudscape automatically reuses space from deleted rows when
> new rows are inserted into the table.  The main problem
> SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE is solving is if there are a number of deletes
> which will not be followed by a number of inserts.  The reuse of space
> is not as efficient as the compress table at it squeezes every last bit
> of free space out, and returns that space to the OS.

Hello!

Thank you for answering! This explains why my testcase did not grow the
physical size of the db as fast as I expected, since I do a lot of deletes and
insertions. We will probably manage by running compress less often than I
expected/feared. I must say that I'm quite impressed with what I have seen so
far.

regards,

-- sten