db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Is it possible to force read-only mode?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:30:53 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:

> We have considered this option and discarded it for the time being.
>
> Basically, our application isn't client-server, and probably won't be
> for a while... probably a long while.  We just wanted to implement a
> cheap way for two people to look at the same database through our app
> at the same time, possibly on different machines (the data would be
> accessible via NFS, CIFS, or whatever.)  Since no user needs to modify
> the database (and doing so would be bad, for various reasons) I
> figured that read-only mode could be used to do this.

I don't have real clarity on your configuration but I think the embedded
server model might be appropriate for what you are doing. Your app
continues to use embedded but you start network server in the same jvm
to allow access by external jvms.
You can probably test this very quickly to see if it is what you need by
setting the property derby.drda.startNetworkServer=true  in your
derby.properties file and starting up your application.  Then you can
safely connect with ij  from another JVM.

Here is doc for
10.0 - DB2 Universal JDBC Driver
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/manuals/admin/hubprnt09.html#HDREMBEDDEDSERVEREX

10.1 - The new Derby network client driver
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/adminguide/radminembeddedserverex.html