db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Is it possible to force read-only mode?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:12:28 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:

>    DN> For  a certain  reason, I  need the  ability for  two  applications to
>    DN> access the same  physical database. I have been  lead to believe that
>    DN> this is possible if the database is opened in read-only mode.
>
>Have you consider using the network server configuration?  Then
>several applications can connect to the same database and there will
>be no need for the database to be read-only.

We have considered this option and discarded it for the time being.

Basically, our application isn't client-server, and probably won't be
for a while... probably a long while.  We just wanted to implement a
cheap way for two people to look at the same database through our app at
the same time, possibly on different machines (the data would be
accessible via NFS, CIFS, or whatever.)  Since no user needs to modify
the database (and doing so would be bad, for various reasons) I figured
that read-only mode could be used to do this.

But it seems that using Connection.setReadOnly(true) doesn't actually
turn on read-only mode anyway.

I guess we could try embedding a server in every client, but then I'm
not sure how a new client would find which host it should connect to.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

NUIX Pty Ltd