db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Is it possible to force read-only mode?
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:46:56 GMT
A derby database can only be accessed by one JVM at a time.  If you can
run both your applications in the same JVM (using some sort of
application server for instance), then both applications can access
derby using the embedded mode.  If both your applications need to run
is separate JVM's then you should use the network server configuration,
which will place derby in a 3rd jvm and allow both applications to
access the derby database over a network connection in a standard
client program/database server configuration.  It is also possible
to configure derby to run in the same jvm as one of the applications
using embedded mode, and to access that instance of derby from a
separate jvm using network server configuration.