db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Limit to number of active databases?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:18:47 GMT
I also don't think there is a limit, but as Shreyas suggests you may
be running into some sort of resource limit in JVM/OS. On unix OS's
sometimes we run into open file limits, so you may be bumping into
that.

Most of the resources allocated by derby are per database, which means
that for 100 databases there are 100 buffer caches, 100 logging systems,
100 statement caches, 100 background threads, ....   So architecture is
not the best for your
app, but may work if you can figure out what resource you are running
into.  The error in derby.log for the failed connection may give a hint.

I have heard requests for support for concurrent 1000's of dbs, which
is interesting but definitely needs work to get there.

Do you have a maximum db limit in mind for you application?