db-derby-user mailing list archives

From The Wogster <wogste...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: Limit to number of active databases?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:42:53 GMT
Neal Dewing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following odd requirement...
>
> I require opening a single connection to multiple databases concurrently.
> The Derby embedded driver seems to fall out while attempting to open 75 - 85
> different databases.
>
> Is there any record of this limitation? What are my options?

The idea of a database, is as a central repository of information, many
large corporations, including some Fortune 50 companies have less then a
dozen.  So the question begs, why the need for so many "databases".  I
could see the need for opening many tables in a single database.  Two
solutions:

1) Tear down the connection between databases and set up a new one.
2) Redesign the application to use fewer databases.
3) Use a client/server setup, then allow the server to set up separate
connections for each database.