db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Very slow
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:27:40 GMT
Jack Klebanoff wrote:

> Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:
>
>> Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:
>>
>>> I've run with derby.language.logQueryPlan=true and result is that I
>>> have table scan for only one table, that has actually one record.
>>

>> I am curious as to why a table scan is being picked.  Does this table
>> have indexes that can be used  for the query in question ?  Also what
>> isolation level is this query running at.
>>
>> Sunitha.
>>
> If the table only has one row then a table scan is faster than an
> index scan.

True for one row case.

But lets say the table is modified to have more rows and then it
probably makes sense to have an index scan ,  but you will be stuck with
a tablescan for this query till the query gets recompiled as  a result
of a stale plan check. (right ?).  So it still seems it would be better
for the optimizer to pick an index scan when it can instead of table
scan even for a single row.

Sunitha.