I had looked at the derby client spec. Based on the instructions there, I used the derby network client (instead of the IBM db2cc) to connect to the derby network server. My derby client is a Tomcat 4.1.31 instance with some webapps. I included derbyclient.jar in the app server classpath (shared/lib).

Start the derby n/w server....
# java org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start -h localhost -p 1527
Server is ready to accept connections on port 1527.

The driver config parameters (I set these in a configuration properties file within Tomcat):
jdbcDriver=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver
jdbcAddr=jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/"c:/temp/testdb";user=APP;password=APP;

A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: Reply.fill(). Communication API being used: InputStream.read(). Location where the error was detected: insufficient data. Communication function detecting the error: *. Protocol specific error
 codes(s) TCP/IP SOCKETS

I'm not sure what's causing this error...any ideas?

Thanks,
Sriram

Satheesh Bandaram <satheesh@Sourcery.Org> wrote:
What is the problem with Derby network client? It has been available in the trunk for sometime. Other than the XA problems being debated, I don't know of any other bugs. Look at (http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyClientSpec.html) for more information on how to use the driver.

Satheesh

I'm not sure if this is a bug with derby being unable to serialialize database objects, or if something is wrong with my setup? Would really appreciate any suggestions/pointers. btw, I also looked at the Derby network client which is not part of the official derby release yet. But I was not able to get that to work either...

Thanks!
- Sriram

Do You Yahoo!?

Do You Yahoo!?