db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sten Nordström <sten-ext-dbh...@navielektro.fi>
Subject Behaviour of SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 09:12:32 GMT

We are usimg the embedded variant of derby to handle various persistence
requirements. This means that we do a lot of insert and delete operations,
quickly growing the size of the on-disk files. I have been looking into using
the SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE procedure in order to compress the database, since the
applications can run for months, we want to avoid filling up the disk with data
that is not needed anymore.

Have I understood correctly, that while running SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE no other
operations can be done on the database?

Are there any numbers on how database size and number of active rows versus
deleted ones, influence the time it takes to run the compress operation?

Best Regards,

-- sten