db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Very slow
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 20:19:51 GMT
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:

> Sunitha Kambhampati escreveu:
>
>> Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to embed Derby into Tomcat web apps (using Embedded
>>> driver). But I found it's very, very slow.
>>> My tables are not so big (majority have 10 or 20 records), and 2
>>> have many records (27000 in one, 436000 in other).
>>> I have same database running at full speed using MaxDB (SapAG/MySQL
>>> product) and MS SQL Server (Microsoft product). I have all indexes
>>> that someone could think (I've spent several hours tweaking for
>>> MaxDB and MS SQL several time ago, and I've found what are best
>>> fields to be indexed for my queries).
>>> If fields in where clauses are out of order in relation to indexes,
>>> Derby is capable to reorganize query and use the index (like MaxDB,
>>> PostgreSQL, MS SQL and other products)?
>>> Is there any tips for using derby inside Tomcat? Should I use it in
>>> Server mode?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any tips,
>>>
>> Some things to check :
>> 1) Check if you are running in autocommit mode set to true.  Inserts
>> can be painfully slow in autocommit mode. The reason is that each
>> commit involves a flush of the log to the disk for each insert
>> statement. The commit will not return until a physical disk write has
>> been executed
>

> No difference. May app is query intensive.
>

>> 2) Are you using prepared statements with parameter markers (?)  , or
>> are you using Statements
>> It is not a good idea to use Statement, use PreparedStatement
>> instead. Using prepared statements instead of statements can help
>> avoid unnecessary compilation which saves time.
>>
>> So  statements like
>> insert into t values(1);
>> insert tinto t values(2)
>> will involve compilation cost for each of the statements
>>
>> but if you use PreparedStatement
>> insert into t values (?)
>>
>> The statement will be compiled once and subsequent executions will
>> save the compilation step.
>> Also check the following links in the tuning manual:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/tuning/perf21.html#HDRSII-PERF-18705
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/tuning/perf34.html#IDX438
>

> I believe it's prepared statements. I'm using JSTL, so I don't have
> much control about implementation.

If you want to doublecheck and verify if PreparedStatements (using
dynamic markers '?')  are being sent to the database, you could set
derby.language.logStatementText=true and this will print all the
statements that are executed to derby.log.

Also  for every compilation of the query, you will see the following
marker  'Begin compiling prepared statement' followed by the query itself.

>> 3) What queries are performing slow ?  If you set
>> derby.language.logQueryPlan=true, this will print the query plans
>> used for the queries in derby.log. This might help to check if the
>> indexes are being used correctly or not.
>

> I'll try that.

OK. Just a headsup, the derby.log can get huge since it will log all the
query plans. Though the ouptut is not as easy to read as you would want,
but we should be able to figure out things like if an index is used
versus a table scan or not.

>> 4) Is your app cpu bound or i/o bound.
>

> can you be more clear? The CPU is a Athlon 1.4, 640Mb RAM with 22Mb/s
> ide hard disk.

I was just trying to find out if your app was using a lot of cpu or if
it was just waiting for disk i/o to happen. I guess your app sounds like
it is cpu bound.

Sunitha.