db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew <zen...@pacbell.net>
Subject Multiple SQL statements in a script fail using JDBC
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 18:23:07 GMT
Derby gives error messages when I try to send multiple SQL statements in
a script to a JDBC statement execute command.

JAVA CODE SNIPPIT
//************************
connection conn - getConnection();

String sql = "create table user
(
    k_user_id             INTEGER NOT NULL GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY
(START WITH 1, INCREMENT BY 1),
    username              VARCHAR(32)           not null,
    passval               VARCHAR(32)           not null,
    primary key (k_user_id)
);
CREATE INDEX idx_user_id ON user (k_user_id);"

// Execute the SQL

  //              rset = stmt.executeQuery(sql);
                pf = stmt.execute(sql);

// END OF SNIPPIT
//************************

During the execute, an exception is thown.

However, when the statements (CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX) are executed
individually, everything is OK.

How can I give Derby a list of SQL statements from a script and it will
execute them, other than me parsing out SQL statement one prior to
calling the statement.execute().

I would like the database creation to be embedded into this Java
application.  Is there a utility to execute these scripts using a Java
Connection Object?

Also, what is the Derby SQL term used to COMMIT a transaction, it is not
"COMMIT"

Thanks,
Andrew