db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: derby+odbc problem
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 15:41:25 GMT
zentol wrote:
> It seems that derby can't find DB locating in non derby.system.home location.

For an ODBC connection using DB2, this is true.  When you catalog a db in DB2,
the database name cannot have a path in it.  Since a database name can't include
a path, the only place the Derby server is going to be able to find the database
is in its home directory, derby.system.home.

This isn't a problem for Java connections because both Java clients (JCC and the
Derby Network Client) allow a path to be specified as part of the URL.  But
since there's no way to do that with the DB2 ODBC client (so far as I know), all
ODBC databases have to exist within the derby.system.home directory (or, if that
property isn't set, within the directory in which the server is started).

> If I specify derby.system.home=D:/Projects/warehouse when starting up NS,
> connection test passed in ODBC-manager. [ snip ] furthermore there can be
> two working DBs in different directories.

Again, I think this is a limitation that comes from the client, not from Derby
itself.  Thus it is not currently possible to have a single server access two
databases in different directories if the DB2 ODBC client is being used.

If you really need that functionality, I think you will have to start two Derby
servers on different ports with different home directories, and then catalog one
database per server.  It's not ideal, but I think it should work...

Army