db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 16:54:37 GMT
There are many network, web and ejb apps that can use the embedded
driver, if it is possible to localize the database access logic in
the application server where the database is running.

Also remember that it may be better to use both the embedded driver
for the part of the application that can be local to the database,
while at the same time providing network driver access to parts of
the application that are database client/server model.  Often people
don't realize that both drivers can be used at the same time.  The
embedded driver operations don't have to pay network transmission
cost, so should perform equal or better to network driver operations
(the key factor is the amount of data flowing in either direction).

A typical application that uses this model is one that can embed
all application logic in an application or web server, and thus uses
the embedded driver.  But it wants to do network data gathering
every once in awhile, so uses the network driver to do that.