db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Derby vs. PostgreSQL
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 03:42:14 GMT
Simon wrote:

> Bad - One thing that concerned me greatly was the ambiguity around
> whether the driver was going to be released - yes, amazing, but true -
> originally the whole DB was redistributable as open source but not the
> driver to access it!

To be fair the main (embedded) JDBC driver to access it was released
under open source. I was surprised how many folks immediately used the
networked JDBC driver, rather than the embedded mode. But then it was
always a mind shift for folks to understand the embedded JDBC driver was
the complete database engine. Client/Server is more naturally understood
as it is more typical.

> Well, I think this has been fixed for the java
> access, but as far as I know if you want ODBC you are still NOT able
> to redistribute the driver.   I would love to hear if this is going to
> change.

Do I hear a volunteer for an open source ODBC driver for Derby?

Dan.