db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Links to the old manuals removed from Derby web site
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 17:33:24 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> As an alternative, I could add a link on
> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html that says "Click
> here for the old 10.0 manuals". On a new page I could provide navigable
> links to the old 10.0 manuals and make it as clear as best I can that
> issues must not be logged against those files.

We need a section on the site for manuals that correspond to the
releases, almost like Jeff proposed but I would name the heading
'Releases', not 'Previous versions'.

The DITA source is a development snapshot of the manuals, much like the
trunk is for the engine code.

For 10.0 the manuals section would just have the html docs, but for 10.1
and onwards the same section might include the DITA sources,
downloadable PDF files and on-line html files.

Also I don't think you can say 'issues must not be logged against the
original html files'. I think anyone one could, if they wanted to,
produce a new 10.0 release with updated documentation. I can't see why
anyone would object to that, we might encourage them to also fix any
problems in the DITA source as well.

Dan.