db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Shuttlewood <andrew.shuttlew...@futureroute.co.uk>
Subject Re: Bulk Import
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 17:06:48 GMT
On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 12:53 +0100, Andrew Shuttlewood wrote:
> I've looked at the Bulk Import stuff, and I'm curious as to whether it's
> possible to achieve the same effects but avoiding having to format the
> CSV file in a special way?
>
> Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch the database into a creation mode
> - I don't mind giving up concurrent access, transactions or anything
> like that, I'm purely interested in creating a database with as much
> speed as possible with a varying range of types as far as possible,
> without throwing away (too much) SQL compatibility.

Okay, having poked a bit through Derby, I've seen SYSCS_BULK_INSERT.

It's (of course) not mentioned at all in the documentation. Will this be
left in? There's not much mention in the documentation about VTI support
at all, despite how useful it would be to keep this in. I'm going to
explore. Also from the incubating code I have it doesn't perform the
LOCK TABLE call that IMPOR

> Finally, we wish to enumerate metadata for an arbitary SQL query in the
> fastest possible way - what is the suggested way of achieving this? We
> need to know basically the column names and types of a given query
> (preferably without having to parse the SQL ourselves!) I assume that
> Derby already knows this, but at the moment we actually execute the
> query (which has it's own performance bottleneck).

Are there any ideas about how to do this faster? I'm not sure how to
even begin to approach this. The reasoning is that I might permit the
user to enter a complex query (including ORDER by for example), and I
wish to execute it in order to retrieve the metadata, however I don't
want to actually PULL any data unless it's necessary.