db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Shuttlewood <andrew.shuttlew...@futureroute.co.uk>
Subject Bulk Import
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 11:53:13 GMT
I've looked at the Bulk Import stuff, and I'm curious as to whether it's
possible to achieve the same effects but avoiding having to format the
CSV file in a special way?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch the database into a creation mode
- I don't mind giving up concurrent access, transactions or anything
like that, I'm purely interested in creating a database with as much
speed as possible with a varying range of types as far as possible,
without throwing away (too much) SQL compatibility.

Also, is it possible to get some notification when a database is
recovering? It just seems to take forever in the boot stage and progress
information would be desirable.

Finally, we wish to enumerate metadata for an arbitary SQL query in the
fastest possible way - what is the suggested way of achieving this? We
need to know basically the column names and types of a given query
(preferably without having to parse the SQL ourselves!) I assume that
Derby already knows this, but at the moment we actually execute the
query (which has it's own performance bottleneck).

Sorry for the laundry list of questions, just wondering if there are any
good answers :)