db-derby-user mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Build Errors (building Derby under Eclipse)
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:00:39 GMT
"Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote on 18/01/2005 06:25:03 AM:

> Irum Godil wrote:
>
> >  Hi Andrew,
> >
> >  Yes you are right. Eclipse is looking for tools.jar in a different
> directory vs. the command line. The program build after I copied
> tools.jar in the right place.
>

> Before everyone forgets this problem, I'd like to attempt to summarize
> how to build Derby with Eclipse on Windows with information from these
> messages from Rajesh and Andrew:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-
> user@db.apache.org&msgNo=519
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-
> user@db.apache.org&msgNo=547
>
> 1) Setup everything as per the Derby build doc "How to build Derby"
> section at http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html. If
> you can build Derby from the command line, you're ready to set up
Eclipse.

> 2) Derby uses jdk14 and jdk13 for its builds. So using the default
> Eclipse building (which uses only one jdk ) may not a good idea.
>
>    un-check the  Preferences for auto building.
>    Window - Preferences - Workbench - Build automatically
>    Window - Preferences - Run/Debug - Launching - Build (if required)
>    before launching
>
> 3) The rest of these instructions assume that you checked out the Derby
> 10.0 codeline in this subdirectory:
>
>    C:\derby10_0\10.0
>
>    svn co
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/branches/10.0/
>
> 4) The Eclipse project workspace is pointed to C:\derby10_0,  if you try

> creating a project with the same name '10.0' as above Eclipse identifies

> the all the required subdirectories including the sources and the
> classes (will take some time) since the checked out Derby 10.0 has same
> name.
>
> 5) Setup Eclipse to recognize the 'classes' directory as the output
folder.

>    Right click on the build.xml (most external)  - Run  -  the first
'Ant
>    Build' uses the default "buildsource"
>
>    The second  'Ant Build'  gives you the choices of the ant target.
>
> 6) The java executable that runs Ant from Eclipse needs to be able to
> find the JDK tools.jar file -- and it might not be able to find it if
> Ant is running from a JRE installation.
>
> For the taglet build, Ant tries to pick tools.jar up from the JDK
> relative to the setting of the Java system property java.home, to avoid
> having to make a copy of the JDK's tools.jar to another location. On
> most systems, java.home is set to the *jre* directory of the JDK
> installation. So, relative to this directory, tools.jar is in
> ${java.home}/../lib/tools.jar.
>
> However, if Ant is running from a JRE installation instead of a JDK
> installation, this directory will not exist.  If you add the -verbose
> property to the Ant command line (inside Eclipse) and capture the
> output, the 4th line of the output will give you the location of the
> java.home. Once you know the location of java.home, you can copy
> tools.jar to where the build expects it to be (${java.home}/../lib).

Rather than copying the tools.jar file (as discussed in the paragraph
above), you can do the following (tested on eclipse 3.1M6):

a) Right click on the build.xml file.
b) Select "Run As..." -> "2 Ant Build ..."
c) Click on the "JRE" tab
d) Select the "Separate JRE" radio button
e) Click the "Installed JREs..." button
f) Click Add (We are going to add a JRE entry that is actually going to
point to the JDK)
g) In the "JRE name" field, specify something like "JDK1.4.2_06"
h) In the "JRE home directory " field, specify the JDK directory, e.g.
"C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06"
i) Click OK
j) Click OK
h) Click Apply