db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Foster <kevin.fos...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: Memory-only mode and transactions/locking
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:48:38 GMT
Elissa Newman wrote:
 > Does Derby have a mode such that it runs in memory only? I am working on
 > a project that needs the database to run in memory and not go to the
 > disk at all (the amount of memory we have for our system should suffice
 > for the database size we will have). I reviewed the available
 > documentation and did not see a setting for something like this.

Has anyone tried Derby on a RAM Disk? Here's an example (Google search on
"ramdisk"):

	http://www.superspeed.com/ramdisk.html

It obviously wouldn't be a safe place to keep data in case of machine
failure, but if safety isn't a requirement, then I would guess that
performance would improve accordingly. Maybe not to the theoretical maximum
speed possible without logging, but memory is a lot faster than a physical
disk would be.

-Kevin